Cullohill Castle, built in 1425 by Finghin Mac Giolla Phádraig was the principal stronghold and residence of the Mac Giolla Phádraigs of Upper Ossory. It was cannoned and wrecked by the Cromwellians. In 1657 it was ruinous and uninhabited.
(From the History and Antiquities of the Diosces of Ossory, by Canon William Carrigan).
The castle has an interesting Sheila-na-Gíg. There are 125 of these figures in various places in Ireland. Sheila-na-Gíg on Cullohill Castle is the only one visible in Laois.
GPS: 52.81670, -7.47276.